Homepage
Home Read stories Africa maps The Project Resources Our Writers News

Blackledge, George Robert
1869 to 1945
Anglican (CMS)
Uganda

 

Ven. George Robert Blackledge was of the Church Missionary Society. He was educated at Chorley Grammar School and trained as a mechanical engineer. He was ordained deacon in 1894, priest in 1895, and arrived in Uganda the same year. From 1895-1905 he worked in Kyagwe, and from 1906-1910 at Kabarole, Toro. He was at Kikise, Buddu from 1911-1914, when he became a temporary chaplain to the forces until 1917. He was then appointed Rector and Canon Missioner of St. Paul’s Cathedral, Namirembe, and Sub-Dean in 1922. In 1926 he was appointed Archdeacon of Uganda and was awarded the O.B.E. in 1928. He left Uganda in 1931 and from 1931-1934 was Vicar of Hernhill. He then retired to Worthing where he died in 1945. He was a considerable Luganda scholar and published a Luganda dictionary in 1903. In 1925 together with the Rev. A. L. Kitching he published a revised edition of this with the title Revised English/Luganda Luganda/English Dictionary.



Louise Pirouet


This article, used by permission, was written by Louise Pirouet, as part of A Dictionary of Christianity in Uganda (Department of Religious Studies, Makerere University College, 1969), p. 17. Copies available at Africana Section, Makerere University Library (AF Q 276.761 MAK and AR/MAK/99/1); Bishop Tucker Library, Uganda Christian University and in UK at the University of Birmingham; Crowther Centre Library, CMS Oxford and Louise Pirouet Papers, Cambridge Centre of African Studies.