Homepage
Home Read stories Africa maps The Project Resources Our Writers News

Clayton, Herbert
1870-1965
Anglican (CMS)
Uganda

 

Rev. Herbert Clayton of the Church Missionary Society was a pioneer CMS missionary in Ankole. He was educated at Pembroke and Ridley Hall, Cambridge; ordained deacon in 1893, priest in 1894. In 1897 he arrived in Uganda after walking up from the coast and was located in Koki. He retreated to Mengo for six months in 1898 because of disturbances following the uprising led by Kabaka Mwanga. He visited Ankile in 1899 and 1900 in attempts to get Christian teachers placed there. Accompanied by the Rev. (later Bishop) J. J. Willis, he opend a CMS station at Mbarara in 1901. In December 1902 he baptized the Omugabe (King) Edward Suleiman Kahaya and the Engazi (Prime Minister) Nuwa Mbaguta. In 1904 he married Hilda Turnbull. In 1912 he retired to England having established Church centers throughout Ankile. He was then Vicar of St. Paul’s, Darlington 1913-1927; and of St. Thomas’, Kendal 1927-1950.

Louise Pirouet
This article, used by permission, was written by Louise Pirouet, as part of A Dictionary of Christianity in Uganda (Department of Religious Studies, Makerere University College, 1969), p. 17. Copies available at Africana Section, Makerere University Library (AF Q 276.761 MAK and AR/MAK/99/1); Bishop Tucker Library, Uganda Christian University and in UK at the University of Birmingham; Crowther Centre Library, CMS Oxford and Louise Pirouet Papers, Cambridge Centre of African Studies.