Homepage
Home Read stories Africa maps The Project Resources Our Writers News

Mugurusi, Nasanieri
d. 1956
Church of Uganda (Anglican)
Uganda

 

[TORO]
Nasanieri Mugurusi was a Mwiru who had shared the exile in Ankole after Kabarega’s attack of 1876, when Kasagama’s mother was forced to flee with her children. He was renowned for his courage in fighting the Banyoro, and known as a lion-killer. Because of this, he could get anything he wanted. He was baptized in March, 1897, by the Rev. J. Callis in the Mpenga River.[1] The following year, he was made a member of the Church Council at its inception.[2] In 1899 he was made Katikiro of Toro, and he also became a lay-reader in the church. In the early days he was very anxious for the propagation of Christianity and education. He quickly picked up the new ways which were being introduced in the country. From 1906 to 1907 he acted as saza chief of Kibale. He started the church in Kitagwenda and in Kanyambarara. During his tenure of the office of katikiro he was intrigued against, and this led to his suspension in 1915 and his downfall in c. 1920.[3]

Louise Pirouet


Notes (short form; see List of Sources for complete citations):

Except where otherwise noted, this is based on an account given me by Balya, 1966.

  1. Kabarole Baptism Register.
  2. Kabarole Church Council Minutes, December 31, 1896.
  3. Schofield; 1967.

This biography, written by Louise Pirouet, was included in “Appendix A: Biographical Notes,” on page 415 of “The Expansion of the Church of Uganda (N.A.C.) from Buganda into Northern and Western Uganda between 1891 and 1914, with Special Reference to the work of African Teachers and Evangelists” (PhD Thesis: University of East Africa, 1968). Pirouet published this thesis as Black Evangelists (London: Rex Collings, 1978). However, Black Evangelists does not reproduce the detailed biographies, complete with references to sources, found in Appendix A of the thesis. Print copies are available at Africana Section, Makerere University Library (U 02 P57); The Centre for Christianity Worldwide, Cambridge; and a microfilm copy at the School of Oriental Studies, London. [information from Angus Crichton]