Church of Uganda (Anglican)
Yakobo Okwerede was one of the early pupils at Ngora High School, and was baptized on March 31, 1911 by the Rev. W. Banks. When he had finished at school he first spent a short time as a teacher, and was then asked by the government to work as a clerk. In 1922 he was made a chief, and put in charge of Amoda stem in Soroti county where he worked for fourteen years. In 1936 he was appointed ebuku chief of Ngora county, and continued in this post until his retirement in 1950. He was elected to the Church Council in 1920, and was later for many years a member of synod, but since 1954 he has worked for the parish council only, of which he is an active and leading member.
Notes (short form; see List of Sources for complete citations):
Based on his own information.
This biography, written by Louise Pirouet, was included in “Appendix A: Biographical Notes,” on page 420 of “The Expansion of the Church of Uganda (N.A.C.) from Buganda into Northern and Western Uganda between 1891 and 1914, with Special Reference to the work of African Teachers and Evangelists” (PhD Thesis: University of East Africa, 1968). Pirouet published this thesis as Black Evangelists (London: Rex Collings, 1978). However, Black Evangelists does not reproduce the detailed biographies, complete with references to sources, found in Appendix A of the thesis. Print copies are available at Africana Section, Makerere University Library (U 02 P57); The Centre for Christianity Worldwide, Cambridge; and a microfilm copy at the School of Oriental Studies, London. [information from Angus Crichton]