Classic DACB CollectionAll articles created or submitted in the first twenty years of the project, from 1995 to 2015.
Alfreda Allen was of the Church Missionary Society. She arrived in Uganda in 1901 and began work at Mengo Girls’ School. In 1902 she moved to Iganga, Busoga. In 1904, she founded Gayaze High School for Girls at the first girls’ boarding school in Uganda. She remained as head-mistress until 1930 and did much to establish its standard and reputation. In 1930 she joined the staff of Buloba Teacher Training College. She was appointed secretary of the Mothers’ Union in 1932 and retired in 1936.
This article, used by permission, was written by Louise Pirouet, as part of A Dictionary of Christianity in Uganda (Department of Religious Studies, Makerere University College, 1969), p. 17. Copies available at Africana Section, Makerere University Library (AF Q 276.761 MAK and AR/MAK/99/1); Bishop Tucker Library, Uganda Christian University and in UK at the University of Birmingham; Crowther Centre Library, CMS Oxford and Louise Pirouet Papers, Cambridge Centre of African Studies.