Baskerville, George Knyfton
Ven. George Knyfton Baskerville was of the Church Missionary Society. He was educated at Marlborough College, Christ’s College, Cambridge, and Ridley Hall. He was ordained deacon in 1890, priest in 1891. He arrived in Uganda in December 1891 with Bishop Alfred Robert Tucker’s party. In 1891 and 1892 he was temporarily in Buddu, and in 1892 and 1893 in Mengo. He was then posted to Kyagwe where he did his main work. In 1912 he was appointed Archdeacon of Uganda and examining chaplain to the bishop. In 1917 he was made a Canon of Namirembe Cathedral. He retired from Uganda in 1922, and in 1930 settled in Jersey. His missionary diary in Makerere College Library is an important historical source for the period 1891-1900.
This article, used by permission, was written by Louise Pirouet, as part of A Dictionary of Christianity in Uganda (Department of Religious Studies, Makerere University College, 1969), p. 17. Copies available at Africana Section, Makerere University Library (AF Q 276.761 MAK and AR/MAK/99/1); Bishop Tucker Library, Uganda Christian University and in UK at the University of Birmingham; Crowther Centre Library, CMS Oxford and Louise Pirouet Papers, Cambridge Centre of African Studies.