Blackledge, George Robert
Ven. George Robert Blackledge was of the Church Missionary Society. He was educated at Chorley Grammar School and trained as a mechanical engineer. He was ordained deacon in 1894, priest in 1895, and arrived in Uganda the same year. From 1895-1905 he worked in Kyagwe, and from 1906-1910 at Kabarole, Toro. He was at Kikise, Buddu from 1911-1914, when he became a temporary chaplain to the forces until 1917. He was then appointed Rector and Canon Missioner of St. Paul’s Cathedral, Namirembe, and Sub-Dean in 1922. In 1926 he was appointed Archdeacon of Uganda and was awarded the O.B.E. in 1928. He left Uganda in 1931 and from 1931-1934 was Vicar of Hernhill. He then retired to Worthing where he died in 1945. He was a considerable Luganda scholar and published a Luganda dictionary in 1903. In 1925 together with the Rev. A. L. Kitching he published a revised edition of this with the title Revised English/Luganda Luganda/English Dictionary.
This article, used by permission, was written by Louise Pirouet, as part of A Dictionary of Christianity in Uganda (Department of Religious Studies, Makerere University College, 1969), p. 17. Copies available at Africana Section, Makerere University Library (AF Q 276.761 MAK and AR/MAK/99/1); Bishop Tucker Library, Uganda Christian University and in UK at the University of Birmingham; Crowther Centre Library, CMS Oxford and Louise Pirouet Papers, Cambridge Centre of African Studies.