Bishop Gorgonius Bransmas was of the Mill Hill Mission. He studied at Megen and Rosendaal in Holland and Mill Hill, London. He was ordained priest in 1899 and arrived in Uganda the same year. In 1904 he was appointed superior of the mission at Kamuli in Busoga, and in 1906 he opened work at Kakamega. In 1910 he visited Kisii country to examine the prospects for mission work, and in December 1911 opened the mission at Nyabururu, Kisii. In 1914 he was appointed superior of the Mill Hill Mission in the Belgian Congo. In 1925 he was made Prefect Apostolic of Kavirondo, Kenya, and in 1933 Vicar Apostolic of Kisumu, and was consecrated Bishop.
This article, used by permission, was written by Louise Pirouet, as part of A Dictionary of Christianity in Uganda (Department of Religious Studies, Makerere University College, 1969), p. 17. Copies available at Africana Section, Makerere University Library (AF Q 276.761 MAK and AR/MAK/99/1); Bishop Tucker Library, Uganda Christian University and in UK at the University of Birmingham; Crowther Centre Library, CMS Oxford and Louise Pirouet Papers, Cambridge Centre of African Studies.