Brasier, Percy James
Bishop Percy James Brasier was of the Ruanda Mission of the Church Missionary Society. He was educated at Emmanuel College, Cambridge, and Ridley Hall. He was ordained deacon in 1927, priest in 1928 and came to Kabale, Uganda as a missionary of the CMS Ruanda Mission in 1929. After pioneering the work at Shyira in Rwanda, he moved in 1934 to Kigeme where he worked for sixteen years and built up a large and flourishing church work. He was made Archdeacon in 1946, and in in 1951 was consecrated Assistant Bishop of Uganda for Rwanda and Burundi. When this area became a separate diocese in 1960 he became its first bishop. He retired to England in 1964.
This article, used by permission, was written by Louise Pirouet, as part of A Dictionary of Christianity in Uganda (Department of Religious Studies, Makerere University College, 1969), p. 17. Copies available at Africana Section, Makerere University Library (AF Q 276.761 MAK and AR/MAK/99/1); Bishop Tucker Library, Uganda Christian University and in UK at the University of Birmingham; Crowther Centre Library, CMS Oxford and Louise Pirouet Papers, Cambridge Centre of African Studies.