Campling, John W.
Bishop John W. Campling was of the Mill Hill Mission. He came to Mill Hill in 1900 and after his ordination to the priesthood in 1903 he worked in Uganda until 1921 when he was appointed Superior of the newly erected Mission in the Cameroon under British Mandate. In 1925 he returned to Uganda as successor to Bishop Biermans who had been elected Superior General of the Mill Hill Society. As his return virtually coincided with the inauguration of the government department of education (see Educational Secretaries General), which worked in close co-operation with the missions, the new Bishop’s work of lasting merit for the country as well as for the church lay mainly in the educational sphere. He went into retirement in England after thirty-four years in Africa in 1937.
This article, used by permission, was written by Louise Pirouet, as part of A Dictionary of Christianity in Uganda (Department of Religious Studies, Makerere University College, 1969), p. 17. Copies available at Africana Section, Makerere University Library (AF Q 276.761 MAK and AR/MAK/99/1); Bishop Tucker Library, Uganda Christian University and in UK at the University of Birmingham; Crowther Centre Library, CMS Oxford and Louise Pirouet Papers, Cambridge Centre of African Studies.