Of the Church Missionary Society. He was educated at Highgate Grammar School; Emmanuel College, Cambridge, and Ridley Hall. He was made deacon in 1899, and priest in 1900. In 1901 he was accepted as a C.M.S. missionary and located to Butiti, Toro. In 1904 he went to open work at Patiko in Acoli with Lloyd and Pleydell. He was engaged in language work, and wrote a grammar of what was then known as the Gang’ language in 1907. When this mission was closed down in 1908, he was sent to start work at Ngora, Teso, and in 1915 he wrote A Handbook of the Teso Language. Except for a short break he remained at Ngora until 1919. In 1915 he became Archdeacon of Bukedi, and in 1919 Archdeacon of Busoga. In 1926 he was consecrated first Bishop of the newly-created Diocese on the Upper Nile, established in an attempt to consolidate the somewhat neglected work in the northern and eastern areas of Uganda. He retired from Uganda in 1936. Other publications: On the Backwaters of the Nile (1912); From Darkness to Light (1936). Joint editor with Blackledge of A Revised Luganda-English, English-Luganda Dictionary (1926).
This article, used by permission, was written by Louise Pirouet, as part of A Dictionary of Christianity in Uganda (Department of Religious Studies, Makerere University College, 1969), p. 36. Copies available at Africana Section, Makerere University Library (AF Q 276.761 MAK and AR/MAK/99/1); Bishop Tucker Library, Uganda Christian University and in UK at the University of Birmingham; Crowther Centre Library, CMS Oxford and Louise Pirouet Papers, Cambridge Centre of African Studies.