Classic DACB CollectionAll articles created or submitted in the first twenty years of the project, from 1995 to 2015.
Sr. Dorothee (Anna Spee) of the White Sisters joined the order in 1896 and in 1899 was one of the first group of White Sisters to reach Uganda (v. Mother Mechtilde). After spending a short period at Rubaga, she was sent to the Villa Maria where Mother Mechtilde became Superior of a new foundation. Sr. Dorothee was particularly good with children and was put in charge of the huge catechumenate, and helped by catechists taught reading and writing, arithmetic, hygiene and singing as well as religion. In 1911 she became Superior at Villa Maria. When visiting the Mother House in Algiers she was detained by the outbreak of war, but afterwards returned and was again Superior form 1920-1925. The first girls’ school was opened at this time and the first boarders arrived in 1923. In 1925 she was appointed to Kisubi as Superior where she helped found the boarding school for small boys, and continued to teach in the school and catechumenate. When deafness forced her to retire from this, she taught Luganda, in which she was fluent to newly arrived sisters, and translated schoolbooks and hymns. She continued with this and with giving practical help in the hospital until her death.
This article, used by permission, was written by Louise Pirouet, as part of A Dictionary of Christianity in Uganda (Department of Religious Studies, Makerere University College, 1969), p. 17. Copies available at Africana Section, Makerere University Library (AF Q 276.761 MAK and AR/MAK/99/1); Bishop Tucker Library, Uganda Christian University and in UK at the University of Birmingham; Crowther Centre Library, CMS Oxford and Louise Pirouet Papers, Cambridge Centre of African Studies.